PhD Position for Makassar Region Maret 20, 2007Posted by Putri in Info.
PhD position in Social-Ecological Systems (SES) Analysis
The Center for Tropical Marine Ecology in Bremen ZMT is an independent research institute linked with the Leibniz association. A Ph. D. position, starting June 1rst or soon thereafter, is available within the social-ecological systems analysis group. The group pursues cooperative research of linked social and natural science investigations.
Major themes of the programme are:
1. Coastal livelihood rationalities (including mariculture) in a transforming social-ecological system (SES)
2. MPAs under different forms of governance and management (including formal regulations and traditional institutions)
3. Fisheries development strategies in Spermonde Archipelago (including blast fishing)
4. Social-ecological knowledge systems
5. Socio-economic and ecological dynamics of ornamental species (exploitation, culture and trade)
As a part of the social-ecological analysis team, the candidate will contribute to the ongoing Indonesian-German SPICE (Science for the Protection of Indonesian coastal ecosystems) program within the proposed cluster 6 Livelihood strategies and governance in coastal social-ecological systems programme in South Sulawesi.
The candidate will work in Germany and on the Makassar coast and the Spermonde archipelago, South Sulawesi, Indonesia. Comparative work in other regions of Indonesia is possible.
This particular PhD should:
- Advance our understanding of the Spermonde Archipelago and the Makassar coast as dynamic social-ecological systems
- Identify major system drivers and sources of vulnerability and resilience
- clarify the rationales behind actor behaviours within the system especially in relation to the expansion of mariculture and alternative income options
Candidate Requirements: Interested persons should:
- either have an excellent social science degree and some experience/ interest in interdisciplinary analysis, or have a natural science degree plus experience of working on social-ecological themes, especially fisheries and/mariculture
- be able to read, speak and write English to a high scientific standard (e.g. TOEFL)
- be willing to spend longer periods in South Sulawesi
- speak Indonesian/ or be willing to learn the language
- be able and ready to adapt to different cultures
- possess good communication and team work skills
- have full command of the Microsoft Office package
- preferably have some computer modeling experience
The Center for Tropical Marine Ecology is an equal opportunity employer and encourages female scientists and scientists with disabilities to apply. Applications of handicapped persons will be favoured when all other qualifications are equal. The post is for two years initially with the possibility of extension for a third year. Payment is according to the German public wage agreement (at 50% of TVL Entgeltgruppe 13).
Contact Person: Please send your application, including a PhD proposal, (4-6 pages), C.V., copy of M.Sc or Diplom Certificate (online via pdf or surface mail) by April 20th to:
Dr Marion Glaser
Centre for Tropical Marine Ecology